Friday, September 7, 2012

Coming Trip to Australia & New Zealand

We're counting down the last two weeks until we take a much anticipated trip to Australia and New Zealand. Most of the time we will be "Down Under" we will be on vacation, but part of the trip will include some research in the Melbourne area about the Australian Gold Rush of the 1850's.

About 1852, one of my ancestors, as a fifteen year old young man, was basically forced to flee England along with his brother and were able to bribe a ship's captain to allow them to 'stow away' on his ship which was headed for Australia.

Sometime in the future I plan to write a young adult novel about my ancestor's exciting exploits on board ship and while he was exploring Australia and mining for gold near Melbourne in Victoria, Australia.

While in Australia and New Zealand, I will be blogging about what we see and some of our experiences there, some of which will be connected with my research for a novel. Hope you will join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment