Thursday, May 10, 2012

Build on Your Good Starts


1 Samuel 1:27-2:1

27 I prayed for this boy, and since the Lord gave me what I asked Him for 28 I now give the boy to the Lord. For as long as he lives, He is given to the Lord." Then he bowed in service to the Lord there. 2:1 Hannah prayed, "My heart rejoices in the Lord; my horn is lifted up by the Lord. My mouth boasts over my enemies, because I rejoice in Your salvation."

From our Life Values study guide:

Build on Good Starts-

Hannah reminded Eli of who she was and what she had prayed for. She was keeping her promise to God, to present the boy perpetually for service in the temple. The horn is a symbol of power, like the horns of an animal. She sings because she is bursting with God-news.

***

How many of you could give your child to God through his priest at the temple right after he was weaned? I can't imagine what it must have been like, but not only did Hannah present the child to Eli, but she rejoiced over it! She rejoiced over God's blessing and she made certain that she followed through on her promise. How many times have we all made promises to God and after our prayers were answered, promptly forgot to follow through? Perhaps we should all ask forgiveness for promises not kept? What we should learn from Hannah is to build on the good starts that God has blessed us with. God continued to bless Hannah with more children as she continued to serve Him. What's next for us?

May God bless you and yours,

Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment